Monday, September 12, 2005

I granted two interviews in the last five days!

It's not as if I've never given an interview to the press before. I have. Exactly three times. Once after I returned from a mission trip in Kenya in 1994, once when we hosted students from Kenya at our church the following year, and once when I was coaching 7th grade storytellers at my school. That last one was probably around 1999. It's been awhile.

Now I have spoken with members of the local press twice in the past week. A woman right in town here owns and edits the local city magazine, and she was doing an article about our storytelling guild. She was including very short features about some of the members, and it was my turn. That should be available at a kiosk in grocery stores near me soon. No photos, which is often a blessing. Who wants to get new photos taken, anyway? I just got a hip new do, and I'm hopelessly unhip, trying to struggle to keep it looking cute. Any photos right now would be a serious mistake in judgement!

For the past few days, our caller id has been showing the smalltown weekly paper's phone number. We cancelled our subscription this past summer, and had been called once already to encourage us to resubscribe, so we just kept ignoring it. Tonight, as I walked in the door between torrential downpours after work, the phone in the kitchen rang. The one without caller id. It was one of the writers for the paper. He wants to do a short feature about my upcoming family stories workshop in association with the town Founders Day celebration.

So now I have to go out and buy the paper when it comes out. Sigh. I just need to remember---press is good, press is good. Besides, I need to know what time I should show up to do my workshop. And where.

Update: I bought the paper. I made the front page, for crying out loud! Here's a link to the story online, which was edited a bit from the print version. I blame my poor expressive language skills on the fact I'd just walked in the door between bolts of lightning and my thoughts that it was a subscription renewal request!

3 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gwyn, that's so cool!

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gwyn, this entry made me giggle. Pictures are not all that bad (giggle), and you are right - press is good! Congrats.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Helena said...

Hey, that's cool! I'm laughing at them trying to get ahold of you and you avoiding them. Heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home