Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Oh my, I'm one of my favorite books!

I thought my "wanderlust" post would be my last before departure, but we all know about swan songs; most of us have more than one. So be it. In the true manner of the internet, I was reading the latest from Molly Newman in her Picayune-Democrat blog. She has a set of links titled "Mollybloggers," blogs written by other Mollys. One of those is Molly Bloom-The Happy Booker. Are you with me so far? Okay. Molly Bloom's last blog entry linked me to one of those "which are you?" internet quizzes we all love. You know the type. What's your Ya-Ya name? Which goddess are you? What's your pirate name? Which politician are you most likely to campaign to get out of office? Oops! There went my leanings!

At any rate, this quiz asked six questions to find out which of 64 books you are. Of course, I answered the questions, though one gave me pause. It didn't ask the question "How are you with questions that have no room for compromise?" The question was "Which climate do you prefer?" and my choices were simply "hot" and "cold." Well, you live here and you get both. Like the last couple days have been 100 degrees, and in the winter, it can get nearly that cold--with wind chill. I reflected a moment and chose "cold." Without cold, my beloved cross country skiing would cease to exist. Besides, if you grow up in a place like Minnesota, you tend to develop a certain Scandinavian pride about enduring hardship, a la Garrison Keillor.

So, you've read this far and want to know which book I am? One of the first questions asked if I was long-winded or straight to the point. You don't have to guess at my answer. The result of my quiz was one of my very favorite books.




You're Watership Down!

by Richard Adams

Though many think of you as a bit young, even childish, you're
actually incredibly deep and complex. You show people the need to rethink their
assumptions, and confront them on everything from how they think to where they
build their houses. You might be one of the greatest people of all time. You'd
be recognized as such if you weren't always talking about talking rabbits.



Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.


I have always loved Richard Adams's writing, but never more than in this book. He was able to make you believe these were really talking rabbits, but still rabbits. Unlike other stories in which the animals are anthropomorphized, these rabbits are predictably rabbits, with each displaying its unique personality. Like any good story, Adams was able to wrap serious themes and truths with elegant story, so that the reader is only barely aware that this is more than a story about talking rabbits. The description of my tendencies based on the book is not too far off, either, although you could change the "talking about rabbits" to "talking about birds" and it would be spot on.

Oh, and did I mention? Until a year ago, we had a pet rabbit. Thumper. Not my name choice. My newly 7 year old son, who got the bunny for his birthday after months of writing about nothing but rabbits in his schoolwork.

Here's to a quiz in which I can believe! Which book are YOU?