Saturday, November 26, 2005

Movie stories

Okay, okay, so this is supposed to be a blog celebrating the joy of stories told in the oral tradition, but doggone it, there are some great stories told in film! Besides, Tony of Milkriver, issued a movie meme challenge to a bunch of us on his bloglist. Probably my other blog is the one on his list, but I already did an entry there, and I have this "rule" about posting no more than once per day. So.....

Tony's challenge was to post a favorite movie that is probably pretty obscure. He'll check the various selections and gather them all on his blog, sort of a "best of the unknowns," as it were.

I will offer two choices, and if you actually know of them or see them, please don't judge me completely by these choices. I like humor on a higher plane, too, but both of these are funny and probably can release all kinds of cancer-fighting neurotransmitters as you laugh your fool head off.

#1--Waking Ned Devine I saw this Irish film when I went to Synod School a few years ago. A couple of the people there seemed a bit upset by some of the humor, especially when the trouble-making old biddy gets knocked off the cliff while she's in the phone booth calling the police, but I thought it was hysterical. The premise of the movie is this---excitement comes to a small town when it's learned that one of their own won a huge lottery. Unfortunately, the ticket holder, Ned Devine, died of shock upon realizing his good fortune, but some of his neighbors conspire to pose as the deceased and cash in. British humor, but slightly more understated in an Irish sort of way.

#2--Escanaba in Da Moonlight This one is a family favorite. I will preface my comments by pointing out that I married a genuine Yooper. If you have to ask, you just won't understand.
Jeff Daniels produced and released this movie independently, filming much of it in Marquette Michigan. It tells the story of a family deer camp, in which Rueben Soady, "da buckless Yooper," sets out to finally end his personal curse of being the only Soady never to bag a buck. The humor is completely sophomoric, and you know, sometimes that's exactly what one needs.

I figure I have done my part to offer up some lowbrow movie choices to appeal to your adolescent soul, while still maintaining a level of obscurity that renders the humor to be almost of an avant garde nature.

11 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gwen, the things you write about always take me by surprise. You such a unique individual. Your interest are so wide and varied. I always learn something new when I visit your blog. Thanks!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so I have seen Waking Ned Devine.

I don't know that it's that obscure--I tell everyone I know about it!--but I love the movie 'Some Kind Of Wonderful'. Mary Stuart Masterson, Erik Stoltz, Lea Thompson.

xoxo,
Becca

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Spot-On said...

Hehe loved waking Ned! But I'm british so its my kinda humor! Whats wrong with knocking an old lady off a cliff for comedic value?

One of my obscure favs from about 10 years ago was "Dirty weekend" (I think that was the title its been a while). Another british movie :) Its about a woman who kills men :)

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I would have to say...

Robin and the 7 Hoods.

Not many people know about this one. It's a rat pack movie set in prohibition. It's a play on Robin Hood and his Merry Men...with a rat pack kinda spin on the storyline.

I absolutey love this movie. It is a musical (which is my favorite genre anyway) and a rat pack movie all rolled into one!! What a glorious thing :)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Jane said...

As former "Yoopers" ourselves,
[our first child was born in Houghton, Michigan]we would LOVE to see that movie. Got a link where we can buy it?
[saw Ned too and loved it!]

i continue to love the movie Green Card. Whenever i mention it, nobody seems to remember hearing about it or seeing it.

~jane

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

I am an obscure movie buff so it was fun to read this post. I saw Waking when it came out. It's a charming little flick. I have a rather warped sense of humor so my pick is Johnny Stecchino with Roberto Benigni.

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I must go see Waking Ned Devine! My obscure movie pick is Cinema Paradiso-Not many people I know have seen it, but it's wonderful!!!! I think I've worn out the vhs-time to get the dvd! It's a about a boy in love with films and the antics that take place in his town admist the town theater. You'll love it!

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny you should ask! We just Netflixed The King of Comedy with Robert DeNiro and it was awesome, though a critical and box-office flop at the time.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OH I loved Waking Ned Devine.
SO FUNNY :)
Hhhmmmm Obsure - not sure if this one is obsure and not sure that it is even a favorite of mine but it always reminds me of my dad and the soundtrack could bring the most cold hearted person to tears so I will choose...

The Mission {with Robert DeNiro}
18th century Spanish Jesuits try to protect a remote South American Indian tribe in danger of falling under the rule of pro-slavery Portugal

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Missy K said...

Hey Gwyn-- Not around the pub much anymore, but I always see your posts-- can we have another simplicity post?

My favorite movie-- Six Degrees of Separation with Stockard Channing, Will Smith and Donald Sutherland. Brilliant, sensitive, beautifully shot.

Missy

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Helena said...

Oh! We watched Waking Ned Devine just a couple of months ago. A friend ha it and thought we would enjoy it. (We did!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home