Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stories for a new year?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That would be me, last October at the Wisconsin Book Festival in Madison, telling the story of "The Lion Makers." The snarl is not my ordinary face, but a moment in the story, one in which my face and actions move the spoken words along and thankfully, got the desired response from my 7th grade audience. The snarl is a helpful visual to myself that with this new year, I must move my own storytelling along as well.

I didn't make any resolutions as such. Usually I don't, because I know all about good intentions and the wayside, and figure I have enough guilt already without adding to my list. Still, I think back on some of my intentions regarding my storytelling and whether they are at the wayside or not right now. About this time last year, I was pledging to myself that I would---

*Work really hard to build my repertoire
*Host a storytelling retreat
*Serve Northlands Storytelling Network as a hardworking Vice President
*Get professional help with my publicity materials, specifically my brochure and website

So, what did I really accomplish last year?

*I did add a couple new stories to my repertoire, and have a program in process of stories about birds that will entertain while still educating about aspects of bird behavior. I have my story list, but haven't really worked on any of them.
*I did indeed host my first storytelling retreat, and plan to do so again this September.
*I have continued to serve Northlands. My current job has been getting this year's Midwest Storyfest all lined up and ready to go. I question how hard I work at times, compared to some of my fellow board members. This coming year's job will push me to my limits, though, because after April, I will move into the position of President-Elect, aka "conference chair." Yikes!
*Professional help? Nope. Though I did make initial contacts with people who do this sort of thing for storytellers and I suppose I could follow up and get the ball rolling in that department. Besides word of mouth, it's clear that many of my contacts are coming from web searches. I have two upcoming gigs already, and wonder what would happen if I actually had a decent website.

In looking at my list of storytelling related intentions, I can say I met one of them and if nothing else, moved ever so slightly forward with the others. In light of the stresses in my world this past year, I am grateful that I can say I did this much. My wish is that I might be able to fully meet these same intentions this coming year, especially the repertoire building intention. That is simply a matter of work and time. Maybe another intention should be added----"less time online, more time working on story?" That sounds about right!

1 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home